New Zealand has a history of contributing to international efforts to resolve conflict. The NZ Defence Force is a valued international coalition partner committed to peace and security, and regularly works alongside international partners on operations and exercises throughout the world.
It is in New Zealand’s interests to play a leadership role in the South Pacific, acting in concert with our neighbours, helping to maintain stability, enhance regional security capabilities, and promote good governance and economic and social development .
The NZ Defence Force supports a number of major operations around the world including:
- Sustainment of personnel in support of operations in Afghanistan.
- Continuing operations in the Solomon Islands in support of the Regional Assistance Mission to the Solomon Islands (RAMSI).
- Sustainment of personnel in support of United Nations missions around the world.
There are currently 260 New Zealand Defence Force personnel deployed on 9 operations and UN missions across 8 countries, including:
- Afghanistan (27 personnel)
- Antarctica (25 personnel)
- South Korea (3 personnel)
- Middle East (8 personnel)
- Sinai (28 personnel)
- Combined Task Force (CTF) 151 (187 personnel)
- South Sudan (3 personnel)
There are 58 Defence Force personnel on other overseas deployments and exercises.