Please note this competition has now closed.
As part of Anzac Day commemorations, the New Zealand Defence Force is running OPERATION ANZAC SPIRIT, a design competition for Year 7 & 8 students.
The Anzac spirit forged during WW1 continues wherever New Zealand and Australian military have served together, and today Australia remains our closest strategic partner. NZDF and Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel are currently working together in Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste and Afghanistan. Each year NZDF and ADF also conduct a number of combined exercises, and share expertise and knowledge.
Information about where NZDF is working overseas can be found on our website at: http://nzdf.mil.nz/operations/default.htm
Before you begin, some things to consider
Not only New Zealand Army personnel served in WWI; Navy and Air Force personnel also served as part of the Allied Forces. All Services (Navy, Army, Air Force) were involved in conflicts in WWII, and in Korea and Vietnam. Today our modern Anzacs serve around the world on joint operations in countries such as Afghanistan, Timor-Leste and the Solomon Islands.
How to enter
To enter you need to submit a poster that shows what Anzac Day means to you. This can be in the medium of your choice (drawing, painting, collage etc) but please no items larger than A3 size.
The important part – the prizes. There are three prizes up for grabs:
- A day with the Navy, plus a copy of The Reluctant Hero signed by Corporal Willie Apiata, VC for NZ
- A day with the Army, plus a copy of The Reluctant Hero signed by Corporal Willie Apiata VC for NZ
- A day with the Air Force, plus a copy of The Reluctant Hero signed by Corporal Willie Apiata VC for NZ
Four runners up will be awarded a prize pack of NZDF products.
Winners will be announced on 5 May.
- The competition is open to school children in Year 7 and 8.
- Entries can be drawings, paintings, collage; but no computer generated entries please.
- Please keep paper based entries A3 size or under.
- Please include your name, age, address, contact phone number, e-mail address, and the name of your school on the back of your entry.
- The deadline for entries is Anzac Day - 25 April.
- NZDF reserves the right to use entries for publicity purposes.
- Entries may not be returned.
Where to send your entry:
OP ANZAC SPIRIT
Defence Communications Group
Private Bag 39997,
Don’t forget to put your name, age, address, phone number, e-mail address, and the name of your school on the back of your entry.
Download a copy of the Operation Anzac Spirit poster [pdf, 778kb].