18 April 2018
The Chief of Defence Force, Lieutenant General Tim Keating, has announced the scope of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) commitment to this year’s Anzac Day commemorations in New Zealand and overseas.
Lieutenant General Keating said NZDF personnel would support more than 300 civic and community events in New Zealand, including the national commemorations at Pukeahu National War Memorial Park in Wellington. Personnel will also represent the NZDF at Anzac Day-related events in more than 35 countries around the world, including Belgium, France, and Turkey.
“Although Anzac Day has its origin in the First World War, we now remember the service and sacrifice of all personnel who have served in New Zealand’s interests,” Lieutenant General Keating said.
“We also reflect on the NZDF contribution to peacekeeping and stability around the world, especially for our personnel serving in the United Nations Truce Supervision Organisation (UNTSO), which marks its 70th anniversary this year.”
There are currently eight NZDF personnel serving as part of UNTSO in the Middle East, working as military observers in the Golan Heights, Jerusalem and southern Lebanon.
The New Zealand Service at Chunuk Bair in Gallipoli will be livestreamed on the NZDF’s Facebook page, www.facebook.com/NZDefenceForce, at 8.30pm New Zealand time on Anzac Day.
The Royal New Zealand Navy ship HMNZS Hawea will be in Tauranga and the Royal New Zealand Air Force will conduct flypasts over certain areas of the country.
Details of NZDF-supported Anzac Day services in Belgium, France and Turkey:
International NZDF-supported Anzac Day events:
Commemorations in France are traditionally held on the weekend closest to Anzac Day.
- 21 April, 3pm (22 April, 1am NZ) – New Zealand National Service at Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, France
- 22 April, 6am (22 April, 4pm NZ) – New Zealand Anzac Dawn Service, Le Quesnoy, France (New Zealand also participates in the French service later that morning, which includes a march with the Le Quesnoy community to the New Zealand Memorial embedded in the walls of the town).
- 25 April, 6am (25 April, 4pm NZ) – Anzac Day Dawn Service (joint Australia, Belgium, New Zealand service), Buttes New British Cemetery, Zonnebeke, Belgium
- 25 April, 11.15am (25 April, 9.15pm NZ) – Anzac Last Post ceremony, Menin Gate, Ieper
- 25 April, 2pm (26 April, midnight NZ) – New Zealand Anzac Day Service, New Zealand Memorial Park, Nieuwzeelandersstraat, Mesen
- 25 April, 8pm (26 April, 6am NZ) – Last Post ceremony, Menin Gate, Ieper.
The New Zealand contingent conducting these commemorative services in France and Belgium will also participate in the rekindling of the Eternal Flame ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe in Paris on 28 April at 6pm (29 April, 4am NZ).
- 25 April – Anzac Day Dawn Service (25 April, 2.30pm NZ time), followed by the New Zealand Service at Chunuk Bair at Gallipoli at 11.30am (25 April, 8.30pm NZ time).
The New Zealand Service at Chunuk Bair will be livestreamed on the NZDF’s Facebook page www.facebook.com/NZDefenceForce .