New / Moving / Posting?

Have you Moved?

We understand that moving around the country can be testing. Starting new schools, finding new doctors, and meeting new friends can be a daunting task. This can also be a very isolating time, and often made harder if you didn’t particularly want to leave your other home.

Here we hope to make that transition a little easier. There’s information on how to access the camp or base, how to deal with senior managers, service housing options, and information on each locations community services officers.

You can also visit the Family support information page for some useful support services if you're newly arrived to a camp/base.

How to Access Camp/Base Facilities

In order to access a camp or base you will need to produce identification which contains a photograph. You may be able to apply for a pass that gives you access to your camp or base at anytime.

Talk with the security staff or your local Family and Community Services staff for information on the pass and how to apply.

Meeting with Other Families

There is usually a strong network of families that connect with each other in your area or across your Service.

If you are new and would like to connect with other local Defence family members ask your local Family and Community Services staff. 

Social Functions

A special part of the NZDF is the support and social time that members and their families enjoy. You will be able to join in many social activities during the year. For a calendar of activities contact your local Family and Community Services staff.

Commanders and Managers

Some families have told us it can be daunting when meeting senior members of the NZDF.  We understand this, and also recognise that Navy, Army and Air Force may have different protocols.  We recommend talking to your local Family and Community Services staff if you would like to know more about military commanders, managers and protocols.

NZDF Service Housing

NZDF personnel and their partners/spouses are eligible to apply for Defence housing.  All Defence Housing is managed by the local camp/base Commander and Defence Shared Services Group.

Housing must be applied for by a uniformed Regular Force member. For more information please contact your local Defence Shared Service Group Centre.


  • Devonport Naval Base – 09 4455 376


  • Burnham army camp – 03 363 0321
  • Linton Army Camp  – 06 3519 630
  • Papakura Army Camp – 09 2965 700
  • Trentham Army Camp  – 04 5275 378
  • Waiouru Army Camp  – 06 3875 599

Air Force

  • RNZAF Wellington - 04 496 0555
  • RNZAF Base Ohakea  – 06 3515 110
  • RNZAF Base Whenuapai – 09 4177 606
  • RNZAF Base Woodbourne – 03 5771 424
This page was last reviewed on 18 January 2018.